Chocolate Almond Marbled Sugar Cookies
These buttery sugar cookies have a swirl of melted chocolate through the dough and topped with sparkly sugar for a magical touch - this is a wonderful Christmas cookie!Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 oz square semi sweet baking chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup sanding (or regular) sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add in extracts and egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar.
- Gradually add dry mixture into wet mixture while mixer is on low. Continue mixing until dough is fully incorporated.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions. Drizzle over dough in bowl. Drag a knife through the dough to create a marble effect - do not stir.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 6 - 8 minutes, just before edges turn brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.